Want to sell workouts online?
Taking your fitness classes online means more than just having a website, it means creating a space where clients can interact with you as personally as if they were in your gym.
In this article, we’re going to explore ways to create fitness online courses, find customers, and sell your fitness classes online.
Why should you take your fitness classes online?
When you sell workouts online, you expand your reach far beyond the limits of a physical fitness business. It allows your clients to feel connected with you from anywhere.
Three big reasons for taking your fitness classes online are:
- A wider audience – Creating fitness online courses means your clients aren’t limited by their schedules, where they live, or even by their desire for privacy. Because your fitness classes are online, your students can connect with you when it’s convenient for them.
- Social distancing – Social distancing has made people more comfortable with digital and at-home programs and courses. Online learning has been around for a while, but 2020 has made it the norm.
- Scalability – Selling your workouts online means you can easily scale your business. Online classes aren’t limited to how many people can fit in your gym. And evergreen courses create an income stream that continues to grow long after you created the course.
How to create digital training programs
Selling training online is really no different than selling in-person classes to your students. You still need to create quality training that helps your students meet their goals.
Here are 7 Fs to keep in mind when creating your digital training programs.
Decide on the topic or the goal of the training and remember the Rule of One: one topic, one outcome, one call to action. Then ask yourself, “What is the benefit or outcome you’re going to provide?” Don’t be afraid to find your niche: there are plenty of yoga instructors but there aren’t as many yoga-for-postpartum-mom instructors out there.
Decide on what format works best for your fitness online course. Will it live on your platform and be accessed after purchase? Or, will you create a membership site that continually adds new content for active members?
Set your price. The format you’ve chosen for your online training will help you identify its value. But other factors may come into play as well: Is the course led by someone with celebrity? Is it unique or proprietary? How in-depth is it? How are similar courses priced?
Decide on how often you’re going to make this training available. Will it be an evergreen course, or will it be a limited-time offer? If it’s a membership, how often will new content be added.
Plan your online course. Depending on how long or in-depth the training is, you may need to create modules and lessons that make it easy to digest. Here’s an extreme example: Yoga Teacher Training is a 200-hour certification. It would be practically impossible to offer this training in one video. By breaking it into short lessons, you can pace the training and keep your students engaged.
Fortunately, most fitness classes online are simply a series of workouts, which means you don’t need to worry about creating modules and lessons. Just focus on creating lessons that meet the promise of your online course: the type of workout, the level of difficulty, and any other details that set your workout apart.
To successfully sell workouts online, create the highest quality training you can.
Invest in the right equipment like video and audio equipment. A good camera, lighting, and editing software are key to producing good content. Take the time to write a script. You can always deviate from it later, but at least you’ll know where you’re going.
Be yourself, but try to avoid anything that would be a distraction. Bad lighting, poor quality video, or stumbling over your words can make it hard to get your message across.
Remember, perfection is not the goal, communication is. So remove anything that could be a distraction.
Edit your videos and upload them to your delivery or hosting platform. All-in-one business platforms, like Kajabi, provide more than just a place to host your training. They provide everything you need to create fitness online courses that sell.
How can you find customers for your online fitness courses?
Finding customers is the most important piece of the puzzle. You may have the best fitness classes online, but if people don’t know about them, they can’t benefit from your training.
It’s not always easy to get your online courses in front of the people who need them. Marketing is key.
Start with the tools you already have:
- Social media
- Your email list
Start talking about what you’re doing and the value you’re providing your students. Encourage your family and friends to share as well.
Create a YouTube channel
Offer free workouts online via YouTube. Optimize your videos with SEO so they’re easy to find when people search for fitness classes online. Be sure to include a link to your website so viewers know you sell training online.
Build your Facebook presence
This can be a great way to attract new customers who you might not otherwise reach. Post tips and pictures of you and your students on a daily basis.
Live stream classes for free
Freebies are a great way to generate leads. You can do a free Facebook Live video on a weekly or monthly cadence so people can experience your training for free. As with your YouTube videos, at the end of each free session, let attendees know how to join your paid fitness classes online.
Use Facebook or Google ads to sell workouts online or promote your live training. You want to get people’s email address so you can stay in touch with customers and prospects through email marketing.
A good way to do that is to send traffic to an application or registration page where they can sign up for your offer.
Create a referral program
Offer free training, swag, or upsells to existing customers who refer their friends and family. Encourage social media sharing by offering rewards when students post their experience on Facebook or other platforms.
Partner with other businesses
Partner with other types of businesses in your space to make it easier for people to find you. For instance, if you buy your exercise mats from a particular company, work out a partnership with them. Offer to promote their mats on your website and ask them to promote your training on theirs.
How do I start an online fitness business?
Creating digital products and training programs is easier than it’s ever been. And with an online fitness business, you don’t need to invest in a gymnasium or thousands of dollars in equipment.
If you already have brick-and-mortar business, selling workouts online is an easy way to expand your customer base—without having to add more space or personnel.
There are a few things you will need to do though:
- Build your website: If you haven’t already got one, the first step is to build your website. This is where customers are going to learn who you are and what you offer.
- Create your product: The next step is to actually build your online fitness course.
- Build your landing page: Once you have your product made, you’ll want a landing page to direct prospective customers to.
- Set up your payment processing: You’ll need a way to accept payments to sell training online. Kajabi integrates with Paypal and Stripe, and they don’t take a percentage of the sale.
- Set up your email marketing: Once people begin to buy your training, you’ll want to stay in touch with them. Create email marketing campaigns and automated nurture sequences that help you build relationships and drive sales.
- Create sales pipelines and funnels to drive traffic: People buy from brands they know, like, and trust. Funnels shorten that process, which means you can sell more, faster.
- Track your results: You can’t fix what you don’t know is broken, so you need to know how all your systems are performing.
It’s not hard to sell workouts online. All-in-one business platforms like Kajabi provide the tools you need to seamlessly bring your fitness business online. Kajabi makes it simple to create your online training programs, make workout videos, build your website, and find customers.
Check out Kajabi’s free downloadable ebook resources.
Attend free Kajabi webinars Monday - Friday to answer your questions about Kajabi's capabilities.
Tune in to the Kajabi podcast, Kajabi Edge to hear interviews with Kajabi Heroes.